Sitting for extended period of time in a car or plane can often cause stiffness, redness and swelling around your knee. Fortunately, there are ways to lessen the discomfort. Try these tips for traveling while having knee pain. Reducing Knee Knee Pain during Travel.
Tips for travelling with knee pain
1.Get out of your seat. Getting up and walking around an airplane cabin or train compartment after fixed interval of time will help ease stiffness and knee pain from being cramped in a seat while you travel. This phenomena of periodically getting up, down and walking few steps is especially helpful for people suffering with arthritis.
2. Stretch your legs. Adjust your seat accordingly and stretch out your legs, using the area underneath the seat in front of you. You probably won’t be able to completely straighten your legs, but by doing this you may get some relief.
3. Pick an aisle seat. Try to take aisle seats as aisle will make it easier to get up from your seat. Plus, you may be able to straighten at least one leg by stretching it out in the open area. It is better, to take aisle bulkhead seat in an airplane, because bulkhead seats have the most legroom.
4. Pick an aisle seat. Try to take aisle seats as aisle will make it easier to get up from your seat. Plus, you may be able to straighten at least one leg by stretching it out in the open area. It is better, to take aisle bulkhead seat in an airplane, because bulkhead seats have the most legroom.
5. Take shorter flights. If you have severe knee pain try to book connecting flights rather than a non-stop transcontinental flight, by doing so you will get some extra time to make your body feel relax.
6. While car trip. If you have a choice, opt for sitting rather than driving the car. Move your seat back, lower it, and tip it back to avoid bending your knee at a 90-degree angle. Also one can scoot their seat all the way back.
7. Wear a brace. Mostly Doctors recommends elastic kneecap donut brace for long trips. Braces will help to compensate for weak or damaged ligaments and cartilage by stabilizing the kneecap, which will result in less pain.
8. Regular Exercise- Here saying doing exercise doesn’t mean you have to go to the gym and have to lift heavy weights. Rather it means go on regular walk, try not to sit for prolong hours and don’t do sudden body movements. Follow proper diet and routine as said by your doctor.
Following these simple measures will help make your trip less painful and more pleasurable. Your knees will thank you when you get to your destination.